/127 between routers?

George Bonser gbonser at seven.com
Sun Jan 10 20:19:37 CET 2010

> TCAM is very expensive.  And you need lots more TCAM per prefix for
> ipv6
> than for ipv4.
>
> Nick

That is going to be another challenge for hardware developers. I suspect
TCAM is going to have to become much less expensive and much more of it
provided in the hardware just for the reason mentioned.

In other words, I don't think the world is going to compromise their
addressing scheme to work around limitations in hardware for long.  The
hardware is going to need to adapt to the new addressing.  The first
vendor that does that will pull everyone else along.  I wouldn't assume
that folks are going to keep building hardware based on IPv4
requirements when more of the world moves to IPv6.