/127 between routers?

Mark Smith nanog at 85d5b20a518b8f6864949bd940457dc124746ddc.nosense.org
Sat Jan 9 03:21:28 CET 2010

On Thu, 07 Jan 2010 18:26:08 +0100
Benny Amorsen <benny+usenet at amorsen.dk> wrote:

> Mark Smith <nanog at 85d5b20a518b8f6864949bd940457dc124746ddc.nosense.org>
> writes:
>
> > History has shown that creating hard boundaries between the network and
> > node portion (i.e. Classful addressing) may reduce forwarding
> > system flexibility and require mass software/hardware upgrades.
>
> You can't apply a lesson learned when addresses are scarce to a scenario
> where addresses are plentiful. I bet we would hear the exact same
> concerns if IPv6 addresses were 256-bit.

What do they say? "Those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it."

Sometimes you need to make design decisions based on not so much the
likelyhood of an event happening, but what the consequences are if it
does. So you're probably right, a "hard classful" addressing structure
in 128 or 256 bit IPv6 addresses probably wouldn't encounter any future
issues - but dealing with the consequences if it does are likely to be
near impossible. It's better to be safe than sorry.

Regards,
Mark.