/127 between routers?

Michael Adams madams at netcologne.de
Wed Jan 6 10:17:19 CET 2010

Michael K. Smith - Adhost,  5 Jan 2010 8:59:

> We use /64's for interfaces/interface sets/ and route /48's through and
> to those interfaces.  Am I in the minority when I look at the fact that
> I have 65k /48's and don't really feel the need to subnet beyond a /64?
> Operationally, it makes things much simpler as well (in my opinion, of
> course).  I get my lower level techs to think in terms of /64's and

I don't know if we are in the minority but you're not alone :)
We are using /64 on all interfaces (ethernet, loopback) just because
the host id is defined as 64 bits.

>From time to time I see discussions if anything other than /64 is harmful
or not. But I can't remember any discussion if /64 is harmful. For me this
is a reason to keep on using /64.

If anyone sees problems with /64 except possible loops on p2p interfaces
(sdh world,...) please let me know.

regards,
Michael

--
Michael Adams                             Tel: +49 221 2222 657
Network Engineering & Design              Fax: +49 221 2222 7657

NetCologne                                Geschäftsführer
Gesellschaft für Telekommunikation mbH    Werner Hanf
Am Coloneum 9                             Dipl.-Ing. Karl-Heinz Zankel
50829 Köln                                HRB 25580, Amtsgericht Köln