Google filtering ICMPv6 type 2?

Doug Barton dougb at dougbarton.us
Tue Jan 5 18:33:12 CET 2010

Benedikt Stockebrand wrote:
> there was a discussion on a similar approach to this on a (near dead)
> German IPv6 list.  Conclusion: DON'T (sorry for the shouting).
>
> Path MTU Discovery problems are already quite misleading in nature and
> as such difficult enough to diagnose and even more difficult to
> resolve.  Wantonly clamping down MTUs will only make these tasks
> worse.
>
> Strategically even more important, once we go down that path we're
> quickly at the point that this approach becomes a "standard procedure"
> and it becomes "your fault" if something breaks "because you
> configured a non-standard MTU" (i.e. one larger than 1280).

I agree strongly with Benedikt here. We're currently dealing with all
sorts of problems in the DNS world due to all sorts of braindead
hardware that hard-coded the assumption that a UDP DNS packet can
never be larger than 512 bytes. The issue of MTUd is one area where I
actually agree that "starting over and doing it right" with IPv6 is
worth the effort.

Doug

			-- Pablo Picasso