/127 between routers?

Michael K. Smith - Adhost mksmith at adhost.com
Tue Jan 5 17:59:58 CET 2010

Behalf
> Of Mark Tinka
> Sent: Tuesday, January 05, 2010 8:48 AM
> To: ipv6-ops at lists.cluenet.de
> Cc: Alexandre Dulaunoy
> Subject: Re: /127 between routers?
>
> * PGP Signed by an unknown key
>
> On Wednesday 06 January 2010 12:34:59 am Alexandre Dulaunoy
> wrote:
>
> > On our side, we are using /120 (easy to calculate
> > and remember) for ptp between routers without any
> > issues.
>
> Over here, /126's for point-to-points, /112's for LAN's.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Mark.

We use /64's for interfaces/interface sets/ and route /48's through and
to those interfaces.  Am I in the minority when I look at the fact that
I have 65k /48's and don't really feel the need to subnet beyond a /64?
Operationally, it makes things much simpler as well (in my opinion, of
course).  I get my lower level techs to think in terms of /64's and
/48's rather than those plus any number of more specific subnets.  I
haven't had to do much to tweak our backend systems (all home grown) to
manage these values, etc.

Granted, I do use /128's for loopback addresses.

Regards,

Mike