Youtube-over-IPv6

Doug Barton dougb at dougbarton.us
Thu Feb 4 21:40:56 CET 2010

On 2/4/2010 2:14 AM, Erik Kline wrote:
> The existing whitelist program is not a long term solution, as many
> have noted.  I wouldn't worry too much about it affecting any
> potential future DNSSEC support of Google domains.

First off, I'd like to add my voice to the chorus of thanks for taking
serious steps to deploy v6. It's going to be hard for others to argue
that v6 is not viable when we can say "Ah, but then why is google doing
it?" :)

Have you considered as a next step doing a little DNS magic such that if
the DNS request comes in over IPv6 and the request is for AAAA that they
are returned? I realize that v6 on the DNS network is not 100%
determinative of v6 on the client network, but I would imagine that the
correlation for this particular network characteristic is actually very
high, and I think it would make a good next step in terms of rolling out
to a slightly wider audience.

And last question, are there graphs anywhere of your v6 traffic that are
publically available? At this point the percentage (vs. v4) is not very
interesting, but would be interesting is a steadily increasing amount of
traffic over time. That would also be a great advocacy tool.

Doug

			-- Pablo Picasso