Safari on IPv6 ?

Marco Hogewoning marcoh at marcoh.net
Mon Feb 1 11:50:22 CET 2010

On 1 feb 2010, at 11:44, Bernhard Schmidt wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 01, 2010 at 11:21:53AM +0100, Marco Hogewoning wrote:
>
> Note: this is only hearsay, some colleagues have this issue.
>
>> This should be easy, however I can't seem to find the answer online as
>> most articles are about turning off IPv6 instead of one. I noticed
>> Apple's Safari 4.04 defaults to IPv4 instead of IPv6 when both A and
>> AAAA are present. Now you can discuss wether this is a safe default or
>> not, I would really like to know where the little button is to switch
>> this behavior to AAAA first, which I recall used to be the case on
>> earlier editions.
>
> We have seen a similar behaviour with most applications after upgrading
> to MacOS X 10.6. It seems that the mdns-responder (?) of the system
> which is responsible for all DNS lookups is broken. It sends out both A
> and AAAA queries at the same time, but only seems to accept the first
> (successful?) response it gets.  I've even heard that some people see
> the second UDP response from the cache is rejected with "Port
> unreachable".

I can confirm it is either 10.6 or safari 4...not that I dig through traffic logs every day, just happen to notice it.

> The effect is not a preference of IPv4, but no preference at all.
> Extremely hard to debug.

ssh seems to do the right thing, my ssh sessions are on 6 even tough the machine is listed with both AAAA and A but I might just got lucky on that one.

> Bugs have been filed with Apple several times, I can ask for the
> bug-ids.

I'll try and kick them around a bit as well. In the meantime, Matthias suggestion seems to help, but again that might just be a lucky hit.

MarcoH