An odd IPv6 application issue

George Bonser gbonser at seven.com
Sat Dec 11 07:21:29 CET 2010

> On Dec 10, 2010, at 9:06 PM, George Bonser wrote:
>
> > When it does so, it sources traffic from ::ffff:10.1.2.3  rather
than
> > 2620:0:5103:1234::3
>
> So it is selecting the IPv4-Mapped IPv6 Address derived from the IPv4
> address (RFC 4291 section 2.5.5.2).
>
> It sounds like the RFC 3484 tables are screwed up. The default table
> (from the RFC) is:
>
>       Prefix        Precedence Label
>       ::1/128               50     0       # loopback
>       ::/0                  40     1       # any IPv6 address
>       2002::/16             30     2       # any "normal" IPv6 address
>       ::/96                 20     3       # IPv4-Compatible IPv6
> Address
>       ::ffff:0:0/96         10     4       # IPv4-Mapped IPv6 Address
>
> It is supposed to compare the addresses is has options on and select
> the one with the longest common prefix. Tell me that the name you're
> trying to connect to doesn't have in a AAAA record an IPv4-Mapped IPv6
> Address?

The name I am trying to connect to: A: has neither an A record nor an
AAAA record.  B: It exists only in /etc/hosts.  C: The name I am trying
to connect to is not on the same subnet as the source machine:
2620:0:5103:2000::3/64  D: the source machine has a default gateway on
the same subnet as the desired source IP.