How to preempt rogue RAs?

Eric Vyncke (evyncke) evyncke at cisco.com
Thu Dec 9 21:43:05 CET 2010

Tore,

On WLAN (conference), the easiest way to fight the rogue-RA is simple to configure AP/WLC to prevent direct client to client communication.

On LAN, this behavior can also be done by enabling private VLAN (or whatever similar feature on another brand).

Both techniques have an obvious impact such as preventing bonjour (and many other things notably DAD :-( ) to work or direct PC/PC communication. Proxy-ARP helps for IPv4 but, AFAIK, my employer's routers do not have proxy-NDP yet.

But, the best way (assuming 'C brand' as someone named them :-) except Cat 2K) is to use the new PACL (Port ACL) such as:
ipv6 access-list ACCESS_PORT
    remark Block all traffic DHCP server -> client
    deny udp any eq 547 any eq 546
    remark Block Router Advertisements
    deny icmp any any router-advertisement
    permit any any

Interface gigabitethernet 1/0/1 <<<< same thing to do on ALL PC-facing ports
    switchport
    ipv6 traffic-filter ACCESS_PORT in

Else, sending the real RA with high priority and a short re-transmit time could also help.

Else, NDPMON is usually pretty good as well.

Note: how does this ISP fight rogue DHCPv4 server?

Hope this helps

-éric