IPv6 success

Frank Bulk - iName.com frnkblk at iname.com
Thu Dec 9 04:11:19 CET 2010

Wanted to share a small success I had in our IPv6 rollout, perhaps someone
else can benefit.

Our ISP has four different access platforms (DSL, FTTH, cable broadband, and
broadband wireless), and the IPv6 deployment approach will not be identical
between all of them.

I wanted to start with our FTTH, hopefully the easiest because it's L2 from
the CPE back to the router.  In terms of automatic addressing, I considered
both SLAAC and DHCPv6 approaches, but settled on DHCPv6 because of the
logging that comes along with (nice for CALEA requests) it and that fact
that it's how we hand out IPv4.

Using the DHCPv6 server on the Cisco works fine to hand out an IPv6 address
to the WAN interface, but didn't (easily) facilitate DHCPv6-PD at the same
time.  After some tinkering around, the best approach appeared to be to use
an external DHCP server and have our router relay all the DHCP traffic (both
DHCPv6 and DHCPv6-PD).  I used the latest ISC 4.2x build for our DHCP server
and tweaked the sample configuration.

But initial testing on our Cisco 7609-S running 12.2(33)SRB4 showed that
when we used DHCPv6-PD relay a static route to the CPE's WAN was not being
inserted into the router's route table.  After working with Cisco TAC and
some internal contacts there, 12.2(33)SRE2 seemed to be the code release
that had the static route insertion functionality, but I was being told by
some Cisco folk that I needed an ES20/ES+ card with the broadband service
software load to actually do that route insertion.  Not wanting to
needlessly shell out the $$$$$, I replicated my preferred approach on
someone else's spare 7609-S running 12.2(33)SRE2.  It all worked like a
charm -- I hand out an IPv6 address out of a single /64 to the CPE's WAN
interface, and a give separate /56'es to the CPE for its LAN interfaces.

BTW, the CPE I tested with were the D-Link DIR-601 and 825.

Kind regards,

Frank