Feelings about NAT64/DNS64?

Cameron Byrne cb.list6 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 8 14:42:48 CET 2010

On Wed, Dec 8, 2010 at 5:09 AM, Graham Beneke <graham at neology.co.za> wrote:
> On 08/12/2010 09:37, George Bonser wrote:
>>
>> I am leaning toward using NAT64/DNS64 as the primary migration strategy
>> in the data center.  Not sure yet what the best approach is on the user
>> LANs.
>
> I wouldn't think that this is such a great idea. NAT64 (like its predecessor
> NAT44) is only really feasibly on the eyeballs/sink side of the network. On
> the content/source side of the network you will most likely need to be
> running dual stack for quite a while.

I have seen many implementations of NAT64 in the data center.  In
fact. ipv6.t-mobile.com is NAT64.  It is very common for a service
that is IPv4-only today to put a load-balancer with an IPv6 VIP/VS
facing the IPv6 internet and have pool members that are IPv4-only

IPv6-Internet--->NAT64/Load Balancer---->IPv4-only legacy server.

IPv4-Internet-->Load Balancer ---> IPv4-only legacy server

I normally don't think of NAT64 like this, i too usually think about
NAT64 benefits for the eyeball networks, but this case in the data
center, which is a common IPv6 migration step, is also NAT from 6 to
4.

The end result is a dual stack service made of what was once an
IPv4-only service.

I completely agree that content MUST be presented to the Internet as
dual-stack, but eyeballs will have no choice but to go IPv6-only as
IPv4 is simply not available.

Cameron