Feelings about NAT64/DNS64?

George Bonser gbonser at seven.com
Wed Dec 8 08:37:32 CET 2010

> It's  a start.  I am very welcoming of any vendor that can provide us
> beta code.  Working with early version in the lab is a great time to
> be influential about how technology is implemented.

Well, the code module for bind looks promising but if that sort of
functionality is to be incorporated into bind anyway, I might just wait
a bit.

I am leaning toward using NAT64/DNS64 as the primary migration strategy
in the data center.  Not sure yet what the best approach is on the user
LANs.

The bulk of my traffic is transacted with relatively few networks so
once those go v6, the remaining v4 traffic will be manageable with
NAT64.  And it becomes much easier to do a one-time migration to v6 than
to do a dual-stack migration and have to maintain two sets of
everything.  Basically the traffic pattern is a huge amount of traffic
with a handful of networks and the remaining 15% of the traffic
scattered across the entire planet but it is repetitive so things like
DNS caching provide good economy and shouldn't beat up the servers
providing the DNS64 portion.