Thoughts about ipv6 white listing

George Bonser gbonser at seven.com
Sun Dec 5 01:54:16 CET 2010

> > A content provider is not going to knock 470,000 users off line, that
> just
> > isn't going to happen.
>
> Yes and no. They are not doing it today and simply waiting for it to
> happen by means of address exhaustion.
>
> And while 470,000 users may be a lot, the other 99.922% have more than
> enough momentum to ensure that the 470,000 end users fix things
> themselves or force their ISPs to do it. They will need to do that,
> anyway.
>

> Richard

Most of the users will not be "knocked off line", they will simply be slower to initially connect to a service.  They will have performance *issues* but my guess is that the number knocked completely offline will be much smaller.  And if all of an ISPs customers suddenly are completely unable to reach a popular service, my guess is the ISP will fix that rather quickly.

That said, one provider that I have worked with says they have no plans at all to deploy native v6 until Q3 of 2011 so there are a lot of networks out there still dragging their feet while there are many others who apparently are 100% ready now.