/48 vs. /56 for customers, was XS4ALL Introduces native IPv6 for DSL customers

Leo Vegoda leo.vegoda at icann.org
Fri Aug 27 18:41:09 CEST 2010

On 27 Aug 2010, at 6:56, Mikael Abrahamsson wrote:
> On Fri, 27 Aug 2010, Bjørn Mork wrote:
>
>> Any ISP of size will request and get much more than a /32.
>
> Yes, exactly. I don't understand why people obsess abot the initial
> default /32.
>
> We have a /25, we returned our initial (from 2001 or so) /32, so we could
> make a proper addressing plan. I don't understand why others aren't doing
> the same.

Years ago, Arno Meulenkamp did an interesting analysis of what amount of small broadband ISPs overall might need for their IPv6 address space requirements (http://www.ripe.net/ripe/meetings/ripe-47/presentations/ripe47-ap-ipv6-needs.pdf). It would be interesting to review that work and do a new analysis based on more recent experience and early deployments.

Regards,

Leo