XS4ALL Introduces native IPv6 for DSL customers

Roger Wiklund roger.wiklund at gmail.com
Fri Aug 27 08:48:53 CEST 2010

I know I'm comparing DSL to Ethernet, and your DSL service might work
completely different,  but I just wanted to see what your thoughts
are.

My building at home has fiber to the basement, connecting to a Cisco
3750 switch. Each apartment connects to that switch with Cat6.
It appears that all residents that have internet connection is in the
same VLAN, and in the same subnet. I assume my ISP has the standard
edge switch security against arp spoofing/poisoning, dhcp spoofing
etc.

I don't know if they have private VLAN with proxy-arp or something
similar, but lets say for the arguments sake that I can send traffic
to my neighbor directly on layer 2 via the switch, as we are in the
same subnet.

"PPP is unnumbered ie link local only, we assign a /48 per customer
available as IA_PD."

My questions are:

Do you mean that each individual customer gets a /48, and another
customer in the same building gets another /48, I.E you have to route
to be able to communicate between them. Instead of them being in the
same /48 and potentially being able to communicate on layer 2.

Why are you assigning a /48 instead of a /56 or /64. Is it just
"because we can" or are there other benefits etc?

Thanks!

Regards
Roger