IPv6-capable 10G switches

Fredy Kuenzler kuenzler at init7.net
Thu Aug 12 17:04:40 CEST 2010

Am 12.08.2010 16:33, schrieb Tore Anderson:
> I need a couple of new core switches for a medium-sized data centre I'm
> setting up soon, and I'm curious to hear if any of you have any
> recommendations or tips on suitable products?  The budget is limited,
> maybe around US$15.000 per unit max, so I'm focusing on the
> fixed-configuration models for now.
>
> My requirements are at least 20 SFP+ ports and full L3 support for both
> IPv6 and IPv4 (fast-path IPv6, OSPFv3, VRRPv3, filters).  On the
> nice-to-have list are things like candidate configuration database with
> commit/rollback capabilities, in-service software upgrades, MPLS, and
> stacking support.
>
> Disappointingly enough I've only found two switches that appear to
> satisfy my requirements so far:  the Extreme Summit X650 and the BNT
> RackSwitch G8124.  The latter is completely unknown to me, but I do have
> some Extremes already and I can't say I'm a very big XOS fan...
>
> The other models I've looked at and rejected are:  Arista 7124S (no
> IPv6), Brocade TurboIron 24X (no IPv6), Cisco Catalyst 4900M (X2 optics),
> Cisco Nexus 5010 (no layer 3), Force10 S2410 (no IPv6), and Juniper EX
> 4500 (no IPv6).

Check out the Brocade CER 2000 series. We have a number of these boxes
operational and are happy with them.

- 1 unit box
- 24 or 48* GigE, copper or fibre, 2*10gig optional
- full BGP tables, OSPFv3, v4 and v6 (v6 from 5.x and higher firmware)
- MPLS
- look & feel like the large Brocade boxes such as XMR and MLX
not sure about the VRRPv3, though...

You should be able to get one without 10gig ports for less than $15000
(street price).

Hope this helps.

Fredy Künzler
Init7 / AS13030