Cisco 1801W, v6 on wireless, bvi argh.

Ulrich Kiermayr ulrich.kiermayr at univie.ac.at
Thu Aug 5 16:06:57 CEST 2010

On 05.08.2010, at 15:56, Benedikt Stockebrand wrote:

> Hi Gert and list,
>
> Gert Doering <gert at space.net> writes:
>
>> Ah.  I didn't know that.  (I long lost track on the plethora of 8xx
>> ciscos that are all weird in their own way, like the 861 that is said
>> to never ever get IPv6 support in any way "because it is not powerful
>> enough").
>
> if "not powerful enough" actually means "not enough RAM and/or flash
> memory" and they are talking about dual stacking rather than
> *replacing* IPv4 with IPv6, their statement actually makes sense.
>
> The online data sheet hints that the 860 series has both flash and RAM
> soldered on-board, so they are designed for a mostly fixed set of
> functionalities.  If that didn't include IPv6 from the beginning, then
> retrofitting it can be infeasible.

The Flash is not so much of an issue - as long as you have an TFTP at hand ;-).

At least i had to do it that way for my 877, which also comes with to little flash for all those nice features.

lG uk
Ulrich Kiermayr                       jabber xmpp:uk at jabber.univie.ac.at
Leiter der Abteilung Datennetz und Telefonie              skype:kiermayr
Vienna University Computer Center                 phone +43 1 4277 14020
Universitaetsstrasse 7, 1010 Wien, AT               fax +43 1 4277  9140