Cisco 1801W, v6 on wireless, bvi argh.

Daniel Verlouw daniel at bit.nl
Thu Aug 5 10:25:32 CEST 2010

On Wed, 2010-08-04 at 17:42 +0200, Gert Doering wrote:
> > "debug ipv6 nd" says everything is fine, RA's are being sent etc.
> > tcpdump on a directly connected host thinks otherwise. *sigh*
> >
> > This is on 15.0.1(M3) btw.
>
> Well, *this* is the old "IPv6 on BVI does not work right" bug.

really? Mmm, my understanding always has been that this "bug" [1]
affected IPv6 on wireless, not on wired as in this case.

[1] was it really a bug or just a missing feature? Since 15.1T now
specifically mentions IPv6 on BVI:
<http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/15_1/release/notes/151TNEWF.html#wp1063071>

Note that the 887W wireless architecture is much different from let's a
877W. It uses a seperate wifi AP subsystem running its own IOS
connecting to the main router subsystem using a GigE switchport. The
main router simply sees the AP as "another switchport" and doesn't use
BVI's anymore.

> Try 15.1T or whatever the original poster reported that worked for his
> 1800 :-)

actually, it turned out the end-user had a semi-smart-but-braindead
switch connected that dropped some multicasts and hence the RA's were
not making it all the way through :/ Problem solved, works fine on
15.0 :)

   --Daniel.