Requesting feedback for a considered DNS test

Steve Bertrand steve at ipv6canada.com
Fri Apr 30 17:34:01 CEST 2010

On 2010.04.30 11:02, Steve Bertrand wrote:
> On 2010.04.30 10:39, Andrew Yourtchenko wrote:
>> On Fri, Apr 30, 2010 at 2:14 PM, Gert Doering <gert at space.net> wrote:
>
>>> Are you missing a DNS server with any v6 connectivity at all, or a DNS
>>> server with *only* v6 connectivity?
>>>
>>> The latter should be easily fixable by setting up a new host name
>>> ("ns1-v6only.mydomain.com") that only has an AAAA record, and delegate
>>> a subdomain ("v6only.mydomain.com") there...
>>>

>> yes, but the folks that provide me an abstraction layer for DNS, do
>> not have this option. Neither NS record in the domain, nor IPv6 for
>> the nameserver...
>>
>> They are otherwise are pretty decent, so the orthogonality of their
>> response when I asked about IPv6 is not yet a showstopper :-)
>
> I've run into glitches in the past as such as well... Note that I use
> .com domains... at the time I registered them, CIRA could not provide v6
> glue, and the .ca registrar I've been using since the late 90s doesn't
> have the capabilities either. Otherwise, it would have been
> onlyv6.ca...hmmm...wait...
>
> my .coms are up for renewal on May 5... clickety-click... onlyv6.ca, done!
>
> Unfortunately, Marc has ipv6canada.ca though, but no glue ;)

...well, it doesn't appear that GoDaddy can allow v6 glue, so I have to
point the ns records at the .com.

Apparently, CIRA has the capability, but there aren't any registrars
that I can find that will allow me to do it.

I'm going to contact CIRA again to see if they can make the change
directly...

Steve