Comcast's IPv6 CPE selection

Dave Taht d at teklibre.org
Mon Apr 26 15:45:31 CEST 2010

On 04/24/2010 11:09 PM, Doug Barton wrote:
> And all of this also applies only to the command-line interface
>> to dd-wrt.  The GUI interface would have to be modified to support
>> all of the IPv6 utilities (like traceroute6) before you could
>> point to DD-WRT and call it "grandparent ready" and that is not easy
>> as it's written in an obfuscated manner (to prevent copying, the
>> GUI is NOT under the GPL like the rest of DD-WRT is)  However, this
>> isn't any different than OpenWRT, which while it has a good
>> command-line implementation of IPv6, none of the GUIs that
>> are out there for OpenWRT support it. (although, those ARE
>> easily modified)
>>
> Agreed on both points. I used to use openwrt, and it has some things to
> recommend it. However (AFAICT) the development has stalled, and they are
> definitely NOT focusing on newer hardware which means my latest CPE has
> no openwrt version available for it.

I don't quite "get" where you say openwrt has stalled. In recent weeks
they rapidly went through several rc candidates and came out with a
brand new version, called "backfire", which supports, among many other
things, the mac80211 drivers and Linux 2.6.32.

The commit logs are quite active for the project.

I've been using openwrt as my base for new ipv6 related development for
the sheevaplug, nanostation M5, and nanostation 2HP. It's working pretty
great. I definately think they gave up trying to carry 2.4.x forward or
coping with routers with less than 4MB flash, but for better routers,
they seem to be rather closely following the kernel mainline and
wireless trees.

Lastly, although I don't use it myself, at least one of the guis does
support IPv6 to at least some extent.