Prefixes, allocation and type of address

Jeroen Massar jeroen at unfix.org
Tue Apr 13 18:40:35 CEST 2010

On 2010-04-13 17:44, Olivier MJ Crepin-Leblond wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I wonder if there is a way (perhaps are there lists somewhere) to
> identify specific types of IPv6 addresses like
>
> - IPv6 to IPv4 Web proxies

Nothing special about the address here. As for the SixXS IPv6gate, it
lives on a set of hosts and is distributed thus requests can come from a
variety of hosts now. For some time there was a list on Wikipedia which
defined them, but some editors didn't want the article about IPv6gate
thus that information got removed too, oh well, more freedom for the
Chinese then ;)

> - 6-to-4 addresses (are these all prefixed at 2002::/16 ?)

Yes.

> - 6-in-4 addresses

Nothing special.

> - 6rd

Nothing special either, only the ISP can tell.

> - Teredo addresses (are these all prefixed (|2001:0000::/32 ?|)

Yes.

> - addresses from Tunnel Brokers (is there a list of those, or do I need
> to look at address allocation from the local RIR to each Tunnel Broker
> service?)
> etc.

For SixXS: http://www.sixxs.net/pops/prefixes/

57x /40 which is equivalent to a total of 14592 /48's or 1x /35 + 1x /36
+ 1x /37 + 1x /40 just a few more /40's to go to get a /34 full ;)
Of course, there are new ones once in a while there. There is a handy
CSV edition too.

> I know that some are defined by their prefix, but is there a maintained
> list that tracks those?

Not that I know of.

Also, it should not matter anyway for general connectivity, IPs are IPs.
You might want to know this for research purposes though to see where
your clients are coming from of course.

Greets,
 Jeroen