IPv6 network policies

michael.dillon at bt.com michael.dillon at bt.com
Sun Apr 11 09:58:23 CEST 2010

> Reserving a /64 for a customer link is fine. I see zero
> advantages in doing so for backbone router-router links.

I see zero advantages in NOT reserving a /64 for every
PTP link. And using a simple shortened /127 or /126
from the beginning of the /64, seems to me to be an
advantage operationally.

> > If and when ping-ponging is fixed, anyone who has reserved
> a /64 for
> > each PTP connection can switch to configuring the whole
> > /64 if it simplifies Operational Support Systems.
>
> *If*. I'm afraid such simplification is not visible from my
> point of view.

OSS means software. It is rather less predicatable what kind
of software packages you might need to work with in future.
Companies get merged, and suddenly you have to shift all of
your operational data to another OSS package. If you run into
an OSS package that only can accept a /64 prefix for PTP
links, you just feed it with your reserved /64 regardless of
what you actually have configured.

There just is nothing to lose by reserving a /64 for every
network, PTP or otherwise.

--Michael Dillon