IPv6 network policies

sthaug at nethelp.no sthaug at nethelp.no
Sat Apr 10 20:15:24 CEST 2010

> I have a lab setup with an STM-4 link between a Cisco 12404 running
> IOS XR 3.9.0 and a Juniper M7i running JunOS 9.5R4.3. The loop is very
> clearly evident here, for anything other than /127 on the link. Can be
> reproduced at will.
>
> > I don't have Juniper equipment to play with, however they are also now
> > claiming RFC4443 compliance for Junos 10.1.
>
> That sounds like a good test for the lab.

The JunOS 10.1 Release Notes lists following under "Outstanding Issues":

"If you ping a nonexistent IPv6 address that belongs to the same subnet
as an existing point-to-point link, the packet loops between the two
point-to-point interfaces until the time-to-live expires. [PR/94954]"

And indeed lab verification shows that this problem still exists for
JunOS 10.1.

Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, sthaug at nethelp.no