IPv6 network policies

Ole Troan otroan at employees.org
Sat Apr 10 16:47:16 CEST 2010

> So it seems to me that the IPv6 protocol is being blamed for a problem
> that has been created by not implementing ND completely on P2P to
> links. If there is no text in RFCs allowing ND NS/NAs to be avoided on
> P2P links, then I wonder what impact that has on claims of IPv6
> compliance that these implementations might be making.

ND has many functions. one of them is address resolution. that's not done on a link without L2 addresses. NUD could be done, but on most router to router links it is unnecessary and not used.

is it a requirement to verify reachability before communicating with any node on an IPv6 link? no, and I can find little support for that position in any IPv6 RFC.

note, that the ping pong problem isn't an IPv6 problem as such, the same problem exists with IPv4.

cheers,
Ole