PTR records for v6 hosts

Dave Täht d at teklibre.org
Sun Sep 6 14:52:49 CEST 2009

Jeroen Massar <jeroen at unfix.org> writes:

> Dave Täht wrote:
> [..]
>> For forward lookups, to dynamically update bind9, what I have done, on a
>> small scale, is use the nsupdate utility, wrapped in a small script with
>> tsig.
>
> What about simply looking at:
> http://www.ops.ietf.org/dns/dynupd/secure-ddns-howto.html
>
> Note:
> $Id: secure-ddns-howto.html,v 1.65 2002/03/17 22:52:50 jakob Exp $
>
> Exists some while already :)

when I looked at google for methods to do this, that url was nowhere
near the top of google, and the existing examples at the top of google
tended to use "example.com" rather than a subdomain like
"roam.example.com".

You suggest "laptop.example.com", but the world of mobile devices is
much larger than that, thus "roam" and "home" were the two dns subzones I
settled on for dynamic updates, and I mostly only use roam.

Incidentally, I just built bind-9.7.0a2 and the name of the new utility
that generates correctly formatted zones and keys is:  ddns-confgen

It uses hmac-sha256 by default. (I believe MD5 has issues nowadays)

The howto is otherwise excellent.

Anyway the surrounding context of this discussion is on how to do this
well on cpe equipment, or in an automated fashion at the ISP. I would
like very much to see local (and split, for ipv4) dns name services to
be on the customer premise some day in the future, in more networks.

I'm told one of the design goals of bind10 would be to have it run well
on embedded gear, but looking over it now I don't see bind can get there
from here.

--
Dave Taht
http://the-edge.blogspot.com