Hosting provider allocation advice

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at ipinc.net
Thu Oct 15 21:06:03 CEST 2009

Gert Doering wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Thu, Oct 15, 2009 at 08:16:08AM -0700, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
>> Seriously, you need to rethink your billing data collection.  How
>> difficult is it to go to your router that's feeding your network and
>> setup a permit access list and count packets that pass through it?
>> Construct the list with whatever granularity you want.
>
> So this is not "ip based billing"?
>
> And how exactly does this protect against customer A bluntly using
> IPv6 addresses that belong to customer B, but are carried in the same
> layer 2 segment?

He already said he's OK with that happening, because it causes
customer B to call him, then he knows that this is happening.

> (private VLANs + static MAC assignment + port security + static ND
> + L3 ACLs on L2 switch port can fix this to some extent, but it's
> messy)

I didn't want to launch into a discussion of how messed up I think
his existing network was, for him to be using one customer stomping
on another customer as a kind of early warning device.  I just wanted
to give him a possible bandaid to add to the bandaids he already has
on the monster.

At least he's looking at IPv6 - that's probably 1000% better than
most of the hosters out there.

Ted