Pinging RIPE

James Aldridge jhma at mcvax.org
Wed Nov 25 16:12:32 CET 2009

--On 25 November 2009 06:38:29 -0800 David Conrad <drc at virtualized.org>
wrote:

> On Nov 25, 2009, at 3:11 AM, James Aldridge wrote:
>> With the implementation of policies which permit the RIPE NCC to assign
>> resources to itself, there are plans to renumber the RIPE NCC into its
>> own IPv6 PI assignment in the coming months.
>
> Out of curiosity, why?

We are grateful for Surfnet providing us with IPv6 space when policies
didn't allow the RIPE NCC to assign IPv6 resources to itself but there are
several reasons for moving towards a PI assignment.

Surfnet don't like seeing parts of their address space being leaked to the
world; the RIPE NCC doesn't want to be dependent on any particular member;
using a more specific prefix out of someone else's PI allocation doesn't
fit well with the RIPE NCC's connectivity model and we experience
operational problems when our more specific prefix is leaked.

The approval of RIPE policies 2006-01 and 2009-02 earlier this year gives
us the opportunity to get our own address space and clean up the problems
with the current arrangement.

Regards,
James

--
Senior Systems & Network Engineer, RIPE NCC