ipv6-ops Digest, Vol 56, Issue 6

michael.dillon at bt.com michael.dillon at bt.com
Tue Nov 17 17:26:37 CET 2009

> Where do the 192:192:168:168:1:1:1:1 come from?  What builds
> an IPv6 address this way from its IPv4 (rfc1918) addr and why??

Sites running SUSE Linux.
Read this Technical Information Document from Novell for more info
<http://www.novell.com/support/php/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&ex
ternalId=10074602&sliceId=&docTypeID=DT_TID_1_1&dialogID=102635143&state
Id=0%200%20102633339>

Or you can go to this URL
<http://www.novell.com/support/microsites/microsite.do>,
type in 10074602 and press the search button.

I guess someone thought that if IPv6 addresses are longer than IPv4
ones, the private addresses are just the same numbers doubled to make
them longer ;-)

Given that it is Novell and commercially supported software, it might be
possible to get them to issue a bulletin to all customers to get this
corrected and teach them about ULA addresses.

--Michael Dillon.