Factors, actions influencing the possibility/timing of IDR for IPv6-basedrouting domains?

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at ipinc.net
Mon May 18 20:23:18 CEST 2009

You had asked what actions operators of other routing domains
could take that would affect standalone IPv6 routing becoming
possible.  If operators of other domains refuse engage in IPv4
recovery, IPv6 will come a lot faster.

I think if you look at the math of it, this is much more of a
major issue than most people think.  Right now only about 1/2
the IPv4 allocated is advertised in the dfz, if aggressive
transfer sales and reclamation take place, in conjunction with
heavy use of NAT, it could potentially stall the IPv6 effort
indefinitely.

Also if end users accepted private IPv4 from the ISP as a matter of
course, I think it would be a very big disincentive to rolling
out IPv6.  And end users are
not known for being very smart about networking.

It's too early to tell what impact that IPv4 reclamation will have,
some people say a lot, some say a little.  I do think that
this is an area where perception becomes the reality - I think if
the perception is that IPv6 is adopting very slowly, that
reclamation efforts will be pursued with much more vigor and
will yield a lot more fruit.  By contrast if perception is IPv6
uptake is fast, then reclamation will not be vigorously pursued
and will die away.

Another thing too about the transfer market is that if perception
is IPv6 is adopting slowly, then even though reclamation will
be vigorous, orgs doing the reclaiming will keep the IPv4 to
themselves.  This will of course prolong IPv4 usage and make it
a lot harder for new entrants to get IPv4 numbering.

I also think that the amount of freed-up IPv4 an ISP can
create (for resale or use with new customers) is proportional to
the amount of effort they spend on reclamation.

> Others that you mention:
> 3. Some IPv4-based operators will sell IPv4, and some
> aspiring new entrants will buy IPv4.
> 4. Mobile access providers will increasingly use IPv6 to add
> new customers and services.
>
> (3) is a perfect match with my original list, and (4) is a
> special case of another factor that I cited initially.
>
> You also suggest that:
> 5. Content providers will increasingly "connect to the IPv6 network."
>
> This one is ambiguous. Are you suggesting that online content
> providers will build out their own wide area native-IPv6
> distribution platforms to reach native IPv6 wireless/mobile
> access customers? Are you anticipating other sources of
> demand for native IPv6-based content
> -- i.e., other than recently added wireless access customers?
> Are you anticipating other distribution mechanisms (e.g.,
> other than DIY) for getting native IPv6-based content to
> those new native IPv6 sources of demand? Presumably not all
> online content providers will have the scale or means to
> build their own national/international infrastructure platforms...

No.  What I am saying is that the large content providers - Google and
the like - are already onboard with this IPv6 deployment and are
working on becoming dual-stacked now.  It is not to capture more
customers as much as it's a community service effort, at this point.
To those providers, getting IPv6 compliant is a money-saver in the
long run because they know that ultimately they are going to have to
spend the development dollars to get their stuff compliant, and
if they get complaint now, then in the future when they have built out
more stuff they will have less stuff to change, and it will be cheaper.

What I mean more are the smaller content providers.  For example, go
to Google, type in "barbeque" and you will get about 100 links to a bunch
of small time people who are selling bbq sauces and suchlike, and
providing content such as recipes and cooking tips to attract people
to their sites.

Just about all of these folks are hosting on one of the large
virtual server farms, run by one of the virtual server companies
on the Internet.  None of those people are going to go to their
server farm operators and demand the operator add IPv6.

But, those farms know the same thing Google knows, which is that
eventually there's going to be IPv6-only clients out there, and
they don't want those clients complaining to their own customers,
and their own customers perhaps leaving without even saying anything.
Plus, you never know exactly what Google is going to use as search
criteria.  Google is spending big bucks on their own IPv6 deployment,
and it wouldn't be farfetched to imagine that Google might one day
quietly slip "Reachable by both IPv4 and IPv6" on to their list of
items that increase your page ranking.

You have to take it as fact that this is going to be a transition -
first IPv4-only, next dual-stacked, last IPv6-only.  And likely it
will be on a classic bell curve.  In the beginning the number of
dual-stacked sites will be small, but when it hits 20% then everyone
and their dog will climb on, then the rate of adoption of dual stack
will peter off after it hits 80%.  Then the rate of IPv6-only will
follow the same curve.

The content providers will be further along this curve because nobody
wants to be NOT dual-stacked when the first customer with money in
their pocket that is IPv6-only hits the Internet.

Then the content providers will be the LAST on the curve to shut down
dual-stacking and go to IPv6-only, for the same reason.

> And finally:
> 6. Somebody (IPv4-based operators? IPv6-based new entrants?)
> will "give way free service."
>
> I don't know what this means actually. I'm assuming that you
> mean that someone will (or should) provide some kind of
> deeply (perhaps 100%) discounted service, the results of
> which would be increased demand for native IPv6-based IDR --
> but I don't know who or what you have in mind specifically.
> Would this be a recommendation that straddles one of the
> other points above (e.g., for native IPv6-based mobile
> access/access providers, or IPv6-based content hosting
> businesses?), or something else entirely?

I know as I'm sure you do that we aren't going to see wide-spread
giving away of free service.  What I was discussing is that
the progression to adoption is going to specifically be a unique
problem for the US because of 2 factors, first the US sources a
lot of content on the Internet, second the US has much more
built-out IPv4 infrastructure.  You will see US content providers
dual-stacking early, BUT when most end-users and content-providers
are dual-stacked, it will be the end-users wanting to single-stack
to IPv6 and the content providers holding things back - and the
content providers in the US will be the worst about becoming
IPv6-only because of their heavy investment in IPv4 infrastructure.

Obviously, ISP's and networks (like the cell network) that provide
connectivity to end-users are the biggest consumers of IP addresses.
It is quite logical that they would be the most interested in
getting rid of IPv4 - once all of the content providers on the
Internet have dual-stacked.  So once the content providers have
done it, the retail ISP's will feel comfortable levying surcharges
and suchlike to their customers to push them into IPv6-only.  But of
course, not all customers will do this and as long as some are
foot-dragging, the content providers will stay dual-stacked.

Ted