zero suppression vs compression in addresses

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at ipinc.net
Mon May 18 19:09:04 CEST 2009

Only for automated or script-fed input, if it's a webform your
presenting to a user to input the IP address, you can always
stick with making the user enter the "long-form" of the address,
IMHO.

HaCi for example accepts the shortened IPv6 then expands it and
displays it as long-form when it's displaying the tree.  I can
see lots of potential for trouble if the RFC changes the logic and
people are copying and pasting addresses from configs to the HaCi input
form from a device using different parser rules to display addresses
in a shortened form.

Ted