Factors, actions influencing the possibility/timing of IDR for IPv6-based routing domains?

Tom Vest tvest at pch.net
Fri May 15 20:14:32 CEST 2009

Hi all,

Would be very grateful for assistance from list members.... apologies
for any duplication...

I'm trying to compile a list of environmental factors or actions that
might affect the probability and timing of direct participation in
interdomain routing becoming practical, specifically for routing
domains that start out with some IPv6 but without even one publicly
routable IPv4 address.

The question I'd like help with is: what individual actions -- either
undertaken directly by the aspiring IDR participant, or by the
operators of other, established routing domains --  could directly or
indirectly impact the probability, timing, and extent of this becoming
generally possible?

Please note (if it wasn't already obvious) that I'm *not* talking
about the possibility of becoming a pure/direct customer of another
routing service provider, nor am I asking/making presumptions about
IDR-related activities that are not commonplace, much less
"guaranteed" for routing service providers in general (ubiquitous
settlement-free peering, etc.). The basic idea is that there is a
range of "normal" or "conventional" activities that operators of
routing domains may choose to participate in today (e.g., exchanging
traffic, indirectly or directly, potentially with most if all other
routing domains; participating as a third party in traffic exchange
between other routing domains -- aka providing transit; pursuing,
accepting, and/or rejecting direct and indirect traffic exchange
relationships; influencing traffic flows across those
interconnections, etc.), none of which would be possible today for an
operator of a pure IPv6-based (or any post-IPv4 runout) routing
domain. The question is: what's going to change that?

My current provisional list of things that might incrementally change
that includes:

1. New entrant(s) obtain an independently routable quantity of IPv4
from someone/somewhere, which can be used to mediate traffic exchange
between internal IPv6-based resources and external IPv4-based network
elements.
2. Existing, IPv4-based routing domains offer native IPv6-based IP
transit that is physically accessible by the aspiring new entrant(s).
3. Existing, Pv4-based routing service providers begin to accommodate
incremental growth of existing and new customers using IPv6 *in a way
that makes those new elements transparently reachable via native IPv6-
based IDR.*
4. Existing, Pv4-based routing domains make some or all of their
current, public-facing resources reachable via native IPv6-based IDR.

What else should be on the list? Additional comments, questions, or
suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

TV