Looking for DNS/Operational experience

Joe Abley jabley at hopcount.ca
Mon May 11 13:24:52 CEST 2009

On 8-May-2009, at 08:28, Chris Caputo wrote:

> Not a complete command-line tool, but one could easily be made using
> this
> function I wrote...  (below)

Here's one I wrote a while back in awk. You know, for that other
person in the observable universe who still likes to use awk.

# dealing with IPv6 addresses in awk is, well, awkward
# take advil now

function v6ptr(address) {
   n = split(address, a, /:/);
   m = split(address, b, /::/);

   if (m == 2) {
     # normalise :: notation
     address = b[1];
     for (i = 0; i < 9 - n; i++)
       address = address ":0";
     address = address ":" b[2];
   }

   # produce a dot-separated list of nybbles
   nybbles = "";
   split(address, a, /:/);
   for (i = 1; i < 9; i++) {
     for (j = 0; j < 4 - length(a[i]); j++)
       nybbles = "0" (nybbles ? "." nybbles : "");
     for (j = 1; j < length(a[i]) + 1; j++)
       nybbles = substr(a[i], j, 1) (nybbles ? "." nybbles : "");
   }

   return nybbles;
}

This function was wrapped in a script that produced a full set of PTR
records from configs retrieved by rancid (I wrote parsers for IOS and
JUNOS).

Joe