Biggest mistake for IPv6: It's not backwards compatible, developers admit

Pierfrancesco Caci ik5pvx at gmail.com
Tue Mar 31 15:09:26 CEST 2009

On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 14:56, Jeroen Massar <jeroen at unfix.org> wrote:
> Pierfrancesco Caci wrote:
>> - keep the routing table reasonably compact
>> - allow multihoming the way v4 PI does for small players
>
> That voids your first rule. NEXT.
>
>> - allow 'political' traffic engineering, in addition to whatever
>> technical reason you may have already
>
> That also voids the first rule. NEXT.
>
> Write a full draft. And keep in mind that there are other people that
> have different requirements which they want satisfied.

My idea was to get a full list of requirements, and then discuss the
conflicting ones.
But you managed to expose 2 conflicts with just 3 requirements so this
is probably why v6 deployement has stalled so long and nobody writes
that full draft. Are we trying to address too many things at once ?

--
 Pierfrancesco Caci, ik5pvx