Biggest mistake for IPv6: It's not backwards compatible, developers admit

Steve Wilcox stevewilcox at google.com
Tue Mar 31 14:55:43 CEST 2009

On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 1:05 PM, John Payne <john at sackheads.org> wrote:

> On Mar 31, 2009, at 3:09 AM, Fred Baker wrote:
>
>  The alternatives are fine for "someone else", but ask anyone, and they
>> want their PI. Give them that, and the IPv6 route table very quickly mirrors
>> the IPv4 route table for complexity.
>>
>> And hence I raise my question. There are a number of alternatives on the
>> table today that give one both multihoming and ISP independence. Who has
>> given them five minutes though before rejecting them out of hand?
>>

> What alternative gives you multi-homing and leaves the traffic
> engineering[*] in the hands of the network team and not the end-users or
> server folk?

None.. quite frankly I'm not clear why we're pushing v6 policy to try to
make it hard to get PI space. Lets stick to the v4 style policy where anyone
with BGP and an ASN can get address space and gives them a v6 /32 and we'll
make this transition much easier.

Steve

--
Network Operations - Standards & Design