Biggest mistake for IPv6: It's not backwards compatible, developers admit

Havard Eidnes he at nordu.net
Tue Mar 31 13:44:28 CEST 2009

> > Also, most ASs would only announce one prefix instead of the
> > zoo most keep today.
>
> And on this one two. We'll have one prefix per AS (more or
> less). That will be less prefixes than are announced today for
> the current autonomous systems.

Except the desire to do traffic engineering to spread the
incoming load among multiple upstreams will tend to push people
into doing de-aggregation of their single prefix, and since we
have no good tools to limit the distribution of a given prefix
beyond the first AS hop, the de-aggregated prefixes will tend to
be visible globally (it's not a given that an "as hop limit"
would help much either).

...which puts us at least more in the direction of the situation
we have with IPv4 today.

Combine this with a reckless disregard for the common good
(controlling the global routing table size), and perhaps a
healthy dose of cluelessness (there seems to be plenty to go
around), and it pushes us further in the direction of a non-
scaleable routing system.

Best regards,

- Håvard (slightly pessimistic)