IPv6 Subnet tool

Martin List-Petersen martin at airwire.ie
Wed Jan 14 23:56:28 CET 2009

David Conrad wrote:
> On Jan 14, 2009, at 12:55 PM, Joe Abley wrote:
>> Perhaps I'm just not seeing the problem that assigning a /56 solves.
>
> How many /12s, /18s, /19s, and even /32s are their in IPv6 compared to
> IPv4?  :-)

Theoretically, assigned or announced ?

No, honestly, I don't see what the point of this discussion is. If a
business customer has a need to get a /48 when moving ISP, even though
the standard allocation size is a /56 for that particular case and can
document for it's use and purpose, then he will get it. If he doesn't
get it, I wouldn't go with that ISP in the first place.

As for assigning only a /56 to end-users or by default, this is very
sensible, even though us ISPs have been given a huge amount of IP space.
But hell, when /8's were given out, there was no shortage of them
either, was there ?

Kind regards,
Martin List-Petersen
--