IPv6 Subnet tool

Joe Abley jabley at hopcount.ca
Wed Jan 14 21:55:08 CET 2009

On 14 Jan 2009, at 15:47, Mike Leber wrote:

> If the problem you are posing is: "How can I make 8 bits work when I
> started with 16 bits?", the answer is use the lower 8 bits or
> renumber to fit in the 8 bits, and you are presupposing you have 8
> bits or less worth of resource to migrate.  It's not like math did
> you wrong.

Maybe I'm just bitter about the number of v6 numbering plans I've
rolled out that map VLAN tags into those 16 bits from the bottom up,
and map non-VLAN things from the top down, starting at ffff :-)

> This would be a reasonable planning thing to mention to customers
> with a mix of /48s and /56s from various providers.

For sure. It seems disappointing that LIRs can't just assign /48s
consistently, though. Perhaps I'm just not seeing the problem that
assigning a /56 solves.

Joe