How to choose IPv6 addresses for customer links?

Gert Doering gert at space.net
Wed Feb 4 16:41:34 CET 2009

Hi,

On Sun, Feb 01, 2009 at 09:51:11PM -0600, Dan White wrote:
> What is the benefit of using BGP in a scenario like this (ethernet link
> to customer)? Would OSPF6 or RIPNG make more sense since shouldn't need
> to know their address?

Control.

With BGP, you can easily filter which routes you are going to accept
from your customer - even if it's a bit more tedious to set up.

With OSPF, the customer can just inject you funny things like "hey,
give all packets to google's IPv6 address to me"...

Even if you know that your customers do not have any malicious intent,
mistakes and typos happen.

Gert Doering
        -- NetMaster
--
Total number of prefixes smaller than registry allocations:  128645

Tel: +49 (89) 32356-444            USt-IdNr.: DE813185279