Choosing an open source DHCPv6 client

Phil Pennock ipv6-ops+phil at spodhuis.org
Wed Dec 23 18:45:24 CET 2009

On 2009-12-22 at 14:59 +0100, Shane Kerr wrote:
> For BIND 10 DHCP on the server side, we are planning on beginning with
> DHCPv6 and then adding DHCPv4 later. Except for the weird BOOTP-inspired
> packet format and weird things you have to do to send & receive packets
> before you have an IP address, DHCPv4 behavior is actually a simplified
> subset of DHCPv6 behavior. :)

*snert*  No.

In an ISP environment, dealing with RAIO support, it quickly became
clear how screwed up DHCPv4 relay support is.  DHCPv6 is clean and
unambiguous (controls for, eg, whether or not the authoritative server's
IP address should be passed onto the client).  The relevant areas in
DHCPv4 show battle-scars from vendors fighting to avoid having to do The
Right Thing.

I wish DHCPv4 were as clean, secure and unambiguous as DHCPv6.

-Phil