Choosing an open source DHCPv6 client

Bjørn Mork bjorn at mork.no
Wed Dec 23 12:24:46 CET 2009

Shane Kerr <shane at time-travellers.org> writes:
> On Tue, 2009-12-22 at 15:32 +0100, Bjørn Mork wrote:
>
>> Do you happen to have a PD example configuration for dhclient?
>
> In doc/examples, there's 'dhcpd-dhcpv6.conf', which is a general
> example of various kinds of syntax, static and dynamic prefix
> delegation is in there.

But that's the server configuration, surely?  I'm interested in how I
configure the *client* to request a PD and configure one or more
interfaces based on that.  The main problem is: How do I tell the client
that I want to allocate subnet X from the delegated /48 or /56 to
interface I, and subnet Y from the /48 or /56 to interface J?

Bonus for some way to trigger radvd to announce a subnet on one or more
interfaces, and extra bonus for some way to trigger dhclient based on
received RA flags (don't know if that is feasible as long as the
autoconf is done by the kernel?).

The dhclient example doesn't provide much info:

bjorn at nemi:/tmp$ cat dhcp-4.2.0a1/doc/examples/dhclient-dhcpv6.conf
# Client configuration file example for DHCPv6

# The client side command to enable rapid-commit (2 packet exchange)
##send dhcp6.rapid-commit;

# name-servers and domain-search are requested by default.
# here is the way to request sip-servers-addresses too
also request dhcp6.sip-servers-addresses;

# Likely to be useful: the script path
script "/usr/local/etc/dhclient-script";

> We do intend to make an overall "PD howto" also.

That would be great.

This is as far I got:

ipv6-pppoe-1:~# ./dhclient -6 -v -d -P ppp0
Internet Systems Consortium DHCP Client 4.1.1rc1
Copyright 2004-2009 Internet Systems Consortium.
All rights reserved.
For info, please visit https://www.isc.org/software/dhcp/

Bound to *:546
Unsupported device type 512 for "ppp0"

If you did not get this software from ftp.isc.org, please
get the latest from ftp.isc.org and install that before
requesting help.

If you did get this software from ftp.isc.org and have not
yet read the README, please read it before requesting help.
If you intend to request help from the dhcp-server at isc.org
mailing list, please read the section on the README about
submitting bug reports and requests for help.

Please do not under any circumstances send requests for
help directly to the authors of this software - please
send them to the appropriate mailing list as described in
the README file.

exiting.

Bjørn