RA for a different router

Marco Hogewoning marcoh at marcoh.net
Tue Dec 22 11:27:14 CET 2009

On 22 dec 2009, at 09:49, Kurt Jaeger wrote:

> Hi!
>
>>> "IPv6 is not IPv4"
>>
>> Too true. However, making IPv6 more different from IPv4 than necessary
>> is not helping deployment.
>
> Yes. I have some nice little case here:
>
> German DTAG DSL platform. IPv6 via PPPoE. Customer:
>
> lan----cust-router------[dsl]----our-l2tp-endpoint
>       speaking pppoe
>      lan        wan
>
> Our l2tp endpoint: cisco 7206, ios 12.4(25b).
>
> So, I can suggest a prefix to the cust-router for his LAN interface.
> But assigning anything other than a link-local prefix to the wan
> side using radius seems to be impossible ?
>
> Any suggestions ? IOS releases where this might be possible ?

Why wouild you want anything else then a link-local on the WAN interface ? It works perfectly well without any GUA and all you do  by assigning one is create another point to secure and a second address pool to manage.

I notice this requirement popping everytime and nobody can tell me what the need is. ICMP can be sourced from a 'virtual interface' and that is what all CPE I tested so far do, the current IETF drafts cater for this, it's covered for by WAA-6/WPD-5 in draft-ietf-v6ops-ipv6-cpe-router-03.

MarcoH