RA for a different router

sthaug at nethelp.no sthaug at nethelp.no
Tue Dec 22 09:43:42 CET 2009

> > Some of us crazy service provider types want our DHCP infrastructure
> > to handle *all* customer related address info, even including default
> > gateway. This is well established in the IPv4 world, and we want the
> > IPv6 world to work the same way.
>
> Don't you dare giving customers a single dynamic IPv6 address and force
> them to use NAT/PAT... I'll come after you!!

You're off that hook since we plan to give our residential customers a
/56 :-)

> "IPv6 is not IPv4"

Too true. However, making IPv6 more different from IPv4 than necessary
(e.g. the absolute refusal, among some people, to even consider the
the possibility of a DHCPv6 server handing out a default gateway) is
not helping deployment.

Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, sthaug at nethelp.no