RA for a different router

Nick Hilliard nick-lists at netability.ie
Mon Dec 21 12:36:00 CET 2009

On 21/12/2009 09:18, Bjørn Mork wrote:
> But this is not necessary for IPv6. The client can use any link local
> gateway address regardless of the delegated prefix.

This is part of the problem.  We learned in the early 1990s that the
default configuration of sun workstations of blindly accepting routing
updates from any source on a LAN was actually a rather bad idea.

As an operator in the general case, I simply don't _want_ random clients on
my lan saying "hellooooo!  i'm a default gateway over here!", and other
random clients blindly believing them.  That just creates a requirement to
filter out another protocol from your LAN clients.

> You know it's reachable on that link.

You know that the gateway address is reachable, but you don't know whether
the machine at that address will do anything meaningful with packets.

Nick