RA for a different router

sthaug at nethelp.no sthaug at nethelp.no
Mon Dec 21 09:29:29 CET 2009

> I too would prefer using VRRP to a failover mechanism depending on RA
> information being quickly timed out on the hosts.  But what is gained by
> using DHCPv6 for configuring the default gateway/virtual router, compared
> to simply announcing it in a standard RA packet?

Old discussion. Think of aggregation routers with many thousands of
customers. Customers get their addresses from DHCP, which also is
connected to backend support systems (so the support people can see,
for instance, which address does customer X have and when was it last
renewed).

Some of us crazy service provider types want our DHCP infrastructure
to handle *all* customer related address info, even including default
gateway. This is well established in the IPv4 world, and we want the
IPv6 world to work the same way.

Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, sthaug at nethelp.no