SSL over IPv6 broken in Firefox for Windows...

Alexander Mayrhofer alexander.mayrhofer at nic.at
Tue Dec 1 17:10:29 CET 2009

> Don't forget the option: No Stupid Firewalling software....
>
> Too many "firewalls" simply don't understand IPv6 and thus just either
> drop all IPv6 packets (thus causing 20second+ timeouts) or at least
> reject them, which would look like what you see in your wireshark.

Reject, specific to a certain browser? ;) Will doublecheck anyway.

> As such: install Windows Defender, go to "Tools" -> "Software
> Explorer"
> -> "Winsock Service Providers" and see what junk is there to
> hijack any
> Winsock (and thus IPv4+IPv6) connections.
>
> And of course you might also just want to check that you actually have
> proper IPv6 connectivity.

Well, all that doesn't explain why

A) plain HTTP connections over v6 work like a charm, even with Firefox
B) plain HTTP as well as HTTPS connections work like a charm with
Internet Explorer and Opera
C) almost all our management traffic (ssh) and other application traffic
to our servers (smtp, imap) works perfectly well. That's native dual
stack connectivity, no tunnels involved.

But, i'll doublecheck all options...

Thanks,

Alex