PTR records for v6 hosts

Martin List-Petersen martin at airwire.ie
Mon Aug 31 12:07:48 CEST 2009

Lionel Elie Mamane wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 31, 2009 at 11:41:32AM +0200, Bjørn Mork wrote:
>> Ron Broersma <ron at spawar.navy.mil> writes:
>
>>> We wrote a tool that regularly polls the routers, grabs the ARP and
>>> ND tables (using appropriate snmp MIBs), looks for all the global
>>> unicast IPv6 addresses in the list, and then using their MAC
>>> address we map to the associated IPv4 address, then use that to
>>> look up the IPv4 PTR record in DNS, then use that to build an IPv6
>>> PTR record (...)
>
>> And does anyone have a proposal that would fit an ISP environment? Lets
>> say you use DHCP-PD to delegate a prefix to a customer, who is in full
>> control of his own "residential gateway" so you can't look up his
>> neigbour table.  What do you do?
>
> Well, given how few "residential gateway"s have a decent support for
> IPv6 anyway...

With that attitude, you'll never get IPv6 to residential customers
deployed !!

>> - Delegate the reverse zone to the customer?  Most won't have a clue
>>   what to do with it.
>
> I can imagine that once IPv6 support has "settled in", that will be
> the standard solution, supported by most residential gateways.

A resolution is only found, when the ISPs start to develop it. Until
now, the majority of the market has been sitting for 10 years doing
nothing waiting what everybody else is doing. That's why we're in this
situation in the first place.

To come back to the DNS solution, we hand out a PTR/AAAA record for all
IPv6 adresses (example ptr-1.mve.ipng.airwire.ie. or
ptr-1f01aaaa1231.knr.ipng.airwire.ie.). The customers can customize
these via a web-portal. DNS is handled via PowerDNS pipe backend, which
runs a custom script to deliver the results.

That works for now. The downside is, that it prevents DNSSEC from being
used, as the zone is dynamically generated.

Kind regards,
Martin List-Petersen
--
Airwire - Ag Nascadh Pobail an Iarthair