NAT64 and DNS64 implementations

Ivan Shmakov oneingray at gmail.com
Fri Aug 14 16:48:56 CEST 2009

 > Hi list, I've been reading the NAT64/DNS64 drafts with great interest
 > - it definitely seems like something I could successfully deploy.
 > I'd like to play around a bit with it, but I haven't been able to
 > find actual implementations so far.  Is there any?  Or is someone
 > working on it?

 > I'd prefer an open-source based solution (e.g. a BIND patch for DNS64
 > and a Linux/Netfilter target for NAT64), but I'm not picky...

	[1] reads:

--cut--
Description

    Ecdysis is aimed to develop an open-source implementation of a NAT64
    gateway to run on open-source operating systems such as Linux and
    BSD.  The gateway is comprised of two distinct modules: the DNS ALG
    and the IP translator.  The DNS ALG will be developed by modifying
    two DNS open-source server implementations: Unbound and Bind.  The
    IP translator will be developed by modifying Netfilter and PF.

Download

    Download the source code of Ecdysis.  Presently, it only does the
    DNS translation.  See instructions below.  License is BSD-like for
    patches, GPLv3 for the standalone.  It has been only compiled and
    tested on Linux

    Note that a full functional NAT64 gateway also requires the NAT64
    module itself, which is not yet implemented and is the next
    milestone of this project.  Come back later.
--cut--

	If I'd gather some spare time, I could try to put my hands on
	making a quick and dirty (user-space) NAT64.  (Albeit I'm afraid
	that implementing the TCP state machine is going to drive me
	nuts.)

[1] http://ecdysis.viagenie.ca/

--
FSF associate member #7257