Running IPv6 on a large L2 network

Gert Doering gert at space.net
Sun Sep 7 14:17:57 CEST 2008

Hi,

On Fri, Sep 05, 2008 at 01:12:33PM +0200, Göran Weinholt wrote:
> It's a student dorm network, so there is bound to be some people that
> will try something just to see what will happen. In the future it's
> not unlikely that viruses will try various mischief. I do have their
> switch port number, but I still need to detect the mischief. 802.1x is
> not very useful for our network.

You could actually try to move towards a more "routed" environment - with
IPv6, you could give every student their own routed /64, and whatever
mischief one of them is going to do will only affect his own machines.

(And yes, getting there without breaking the IPv4 stuff will be
"interesting").

Gert Doering
        -- NetMaster
--
Total number of prefixes smaller than registry allocations:  128645

Tel: +49 (89) 32356-444            USt-IdNr.: DE813185279