Sprint IPv6

Pierfrancesco Caci ik5pvx at gmail.com
Thu Oct 2 10:56:34 CEST 2008

On Thu, Oct 2, 2008 at 10:39 AM, Gert Doering <gert at space.net> wrote:

> As a customer, we really really dislike seeing 6PE used in our upstreams'
> networks because it means that traceroute6 is becoming useless - you can
> see that "there is a problem somewhere in the upstream network", but
> you have no chance of pinpointing things like packet loss or (worse)
> black holes to the routers/links where it's happening.

this happens with  ipv4 as well. Of course you can make intermediate
steps visibile by setting 'mpls ip propagate-ttl', but then you'd end
up with a horde of whiners complaining that traceroutes take 500ms...

> In this specific case, there were some problems with RSVP reservations
> that led to MPLS tunnels going down completely in case of link outages,
> which the control plane didn't notice - so BGP claimed "everything is
> fine" while the data packets disappeared into a big black hole.
>
> (I'm not sure on the underlying details, as we've never done 6PE+RSVP,
> but that's how things have been explained to me).

Ok. Was the problem confined to IPv6, or did you experience some fun
in v4 as well, at the same time?

--
 Pierfrancesco Caci, ik5pvx