Some leaks in China/Hongkong

Carlos Friacas cfriacas at fccn.pt
Fri Nov 7 10:09:20 CET 2008

On Wed, 29 Oct 2008, Gert Doering wrote:

> To be a bit more constructive: you could maintain a list of AS numbers
> that belong to known research networks and should be reached via Geant2,
> and local-pref these.  Anything else coming in via Geant2 should not be
> local-prefed (don't necessarily *drop*, even if that might be prudent given
> some of the crap I2 is leaking, but at least do not *force*) - which would
> avoid routing Google traffic to Hongkong, instead of Amsterdam.

Hello,

I can say that from my small corner, something has really improved.

In Abril, when ipv6.google.com was launched, the avg latency from my
network was about 140% higher when comparing to www.google.com.

*Now* it's about 10% *lower*! (about ~5ms in absolute values). So, someone
tweaked something, somewhere regarding v6 routing :-)

IMHO, this also may indicate that there is still something along the
path in the v4 side which may need some tunning... ;-)

Best Regards,
Carlos
(Portuguese NREN)